Homeless shelter sitings seem to always be controversial. But the one set up last year at the City View Inn at 33-17 Greenpoint Ave in Blissville was recently converted from a family shelter to a shelter for… 100 single men. I think the discomfort level goes up a few notches in such cases, as I saw at the CB2 meeting Thursday night. You can see some highlights of the Blissville shelter discussion in this video.
A few notes:
- There will be a rally about zoning and a TF Cornerstone development in LIC on Saturday at noon. I think I’ll be there to cover this.
- Councilman Costas Constantinides says he wants to convert the Broadway Municipal Parking Field (lot) into senior citizen affordable housing.
- A new ferry route is opening this summer from LIC to LES.
- There’s going to be a 4th annual open 1.2 mile run in Sunnyside on the route of the St. Pat’s Parade from 12:30 to 1 on Sunday before the parade begins.
- A “Healthy Living Pharmacy” will open this month (or is opening) in Queens Plaza at the base of Luna, a building set to open at 42-15 Crescent Street.
- If you happen to be in jail soon, you might catch some arts. The Public Theatre will present Henry V at the Queensborough Correctional Facility in LIC 4/4.
I started this blog spontaneously on my phone. I’m still figuring out exactly how the blog should go. Today for instance, I wondered: should I really cover Blissville? Should I stick to the Ravenswood area? While I figure it out, I’m going to let the site be known. If you checked out this post or other ones, thanks and I hope we will be friends.